Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bayu Timor fusions

Bayu Timor is delightful fusion place of several sorts. It is a fusion of businesses, fusion of decor and a fusion of food.


It is basically a restaurant. It's main business (I believe) is food. It also sells furniture, vases, lamps, partitions, pictures, decorations and other trinkets. A lot of the stuffs displayed in the restaurant, perhaps including the chair you sit on, are for sale. In the floor above the restaurant, there is a big assortment of barang barang that you can shop on. The last time I visited the place, there was a big yellow banner that screamed "New Arrivals! Great Bargains!".


Its decor is likewise contrasting. The restaurant occupies 2 shop lots. One is a smoking area and has a contemporary setting, with low rattan chairs and glass top tables. A comfortable area indeed.


The non-smoking area is in the second shop lot and has an old fashion ambiance. It has old tables and chairs and antiquated furniture. Most of the displays are for sale. It is perhaps not so comfortable but truly charming.

To me, the most important aspect of the place is the food they serve. It is genuinely fusion. It has a good array of local, western, Indonesia, Vietnamese and other cuisines. The counter at the smoking section has a display of deliciously tempting kuih, cakes and savouries.


The menu has a wide selection of different cuisines. The daily set lunch has wide-ranging choices and value for money. An typical meal with a soup, entree, dessert and coffee is only for RM19.90.

I have been to Bayu Timor many times and at every visit, I have not failed to order their rojak. To me this place serves rojak extraordinaire. It is really really good. I was never a fan of rojak. This one hooked me on. It is a good mix of fruits, vege, crunchies, sotong - topped with keropok. The sauce is thick, tasty and generously garnished with grounded kacang. If you are ever in Bayu Timor, you have to try their rojak. Unfortunately my shot of the rojak here is not sure so good...


My next favorite is the roast lamb. It is available in the daily set lunch menu and is served with a nice pumpkin soup. The lamb is good. The plate has potato, vege and some mint sauce that goes very well with the gravy.


The rice dishes are very popular too. They have nasi lemak, nasi dagang, nasi tomato, etc. They are served with similar accompaniments. I have tried the nasi lemak and nasi dagang. They were worthwhile.


At my last visit, I ordered the Vietnamese beef noodle soup. It was a disappointment. The beef was scare, the meat balls were quite tasteless and the vege toppings were inadequate. 


I have seen the pastas. They looked good. 


If you go for their set meals, which I would recommend for their value-for-money, you will be served coffee and small portions of kuih nyonya for dessert. They are not the best, but not too bad.


Bayu Timor is located on Jalan SS24/8 in Taman Megah, PJ. They don't serve dinner. For some reason, they are opened only up to 4pm. I know they have a branch in Sungei Wang Plaza, KL, which is a small set-up. I have not tried the branch and I am not sure if they have the full menu that they serve in Taman Megah.

No comments:

Post a Comment